One of the hardest parts in any business is finding good help. It is rare these days finding people who not only want to work, but don’t mind doing physical labor in sometimes extreme weather conditions. Now that the semester is finished I was lucky enough to have six great people come out to the farm and help me get things back in order and up and running last week. It was amazing to see what was accomplished by last Friday, especially with the unseasonably cooler weather.
One of the largest tasks we were able to finish was setting up all of our irrigation for the entire 1.5 acres. This sounds like it would be simple enough but let me tell you….. it never is! There is always a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed or a line that isn’t long enough or more lay flat that needs to be ordered. I talked in last week’s blog about large leaks in the lay flat and how we needed to order new for this growing season. When it came in we needed to reinstall all of our drip line valves for the entire plot. New lay flat is not very stretchy so it was incredibly tough trying to squeeze all of those valves in. Some people are really good at it and some are really bad. Unfortunately I am the latter. I was lucky enough to have Joe and Jordan out in the field with me who popped those things in like they had been assembling irrigation for years.
We were also able to get all of our trellising assembled for our tomatoes (indeterminate and determinate) and peppers. I am always so excited when this project is complete because it makes the farm look legit. 🙂 Plus, there is nothing like digging one million two foot post holes with a post hole digger. Not really one million but it was enough to make me sore for four days.
We also managed to get everything planted!! This is huge! I made a harvest calendar predicting our harvests for each crop and emailed it to each of the chefs that bought from me last year. I have slowly been teaching myself excel, which will be an easier communication between me and the clients and also for record keeping.